Re: [pygame] music module bindings for python

Hi Greg and others,

----- Original Message ----
From: Greg Ewing <greg.ewing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: pygame-users@xxxxxxxx
Cc: andrew_pape@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, 24 May, 2007 6:10:56 PM
Subject: Re: [pygame] music module bindings for python

René Dudfield wrote:

> pygame has mod support through sdl_mixer.

That's true. Note that you need to use pygame.mixer.music
rather than a pygame.mixer.Sound object, though.

I just tried the following on MacOSX and it worked:

from time import sleep
from pygame import mixer
mixer.init()
music = mixer.music
music.load("bigjapan.mod")
music.play()
sleep(10000)

(The mod file I used is from
http://www.df.lth.se/~fernbom/music/mods/files/bigjapan.zip).

--
Greg

Thanks for telling me about the mod support. I assumed that pygame didn't have mod support because I'd heard of PySonic, which led me on the wrong track. I have tested (with pygame's mixer) not only mods, but also more complex "mod" formats, including IT and XM. They all work, but I've had some trouble with playback. The worst problem is that of the music hissing. The same music plays perfectly with SoundTracker (on my Linux box) and also perfectly on Windows. I have experimented with the mixing speed and also the buffer size, but such changes make no difference. You may recall that I was the one with the "sound crackling" woes when I couldn't get Ogg files to play. Someone pointed me to SDL environment variables, and a line like: export SDLAUDIODRIVER=dsp did the trick: no more crackling. But I still get hiss with modules. Seems to be an OS problem. If anyone knows more detail about setting SDL variables, please tell me, as I'd like to get modules playing perfectly, if possible. The other problem is that I can't set the volume of the modules very high (100% is not very loud). Any ideas?

Cheers,

Andrew.

How would you spend $50,000 to create a more sustainable environment in Australia? Go to Yahoo!7 Answers and share your idea.