[pygame] Slow performance in fullscreen mode

Hi list,

My Pygame app runs fine in windowed mode, using

> pygame.display.set_mode((1024,768))

But when I switch to fullscreen mode with

> pygame.display.set_mode((1024,768),pygame.FULLSCREEN)

the display looks fine but the app speed slows down dramatically.
Perhaps the problem is that Pygame is emulating an absent video mode in
some form? 1024 x 768 is supposed to be one of the video modes of this
monitor...

Does anyone have any suggestions please? I would like to be able to use
fullscreen 1024x768 without the performance hit...

Thanks
A.
"The information contained in this transmission is confidential. It is intended for the named address only. If you are not the named address you may not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance upon this transmission"