Re: [pygame] Dirty Rect updating

Note that RenderUpdates or OrderUpdates are both a lot faster than what you are doing now. If you're clearing the whole screen to white and then drawing the background over it as well, you're still blitting to your whole screen twice. With RenderUpdates you can blit only what you need to, and that's whats saving most of your time.

Of course, you could take those two blits away and achieve much the same effect. But the sprite group is probably simpler to use, because all the hard work is done for you.

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 6:54 PM, etrek <etrek@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I figured it out, I needed to blit the background and do a pygame.update before the main loop.  Now it works as it should.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2008 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: [pygame] Dirty Rect updating

Sounds like you are never updating the entire screen.  If you NEVER update the entire screen, then the area outside where the sprites rect is will never be displayed with the background (and stay black).  The background is a dirty rect too :)

But without the real code you are using, it's not possible to tell if that's truly the problem.  In the future please try to post the actual code that doesn't work, it helps to troubleshoot a lot.