Re: [pygame] starting the rewrite

On May 1, 2009, at 12:01 PM, Shaun Mahood wrote:

As much fun as it is to watch everyone split apart to do their own
thing, I have a few questions (not knowing anything about either
Django or cherrypy).

Do both of the frameworks "hide" all the database interactions? If
possible, it could save a ton of headaches later on if a database
structure could be set for both teams to develop on. If there were a
common set of methods written as well to interact with the database,
then you would have a whole lot of common sections between the two
rewrites.

Django comes with a built-in orm, so in that sense it does "hide" db interactions, though I'm pretty sure you can plugin whatever you like.

Cherrpy is completely agnositic wrt storage and has no built-in orm. Overall Cherrypy is much less of an overall framework than Django is. With Cherrypy projects I have done my storage has ranged from filesystem only, database via SQLAlchemy (which rocks) and database via dbapi (which is really only best for special-purpose needs).

Is there a common set of agreed upon requirements for the new website?
This would at least give people a basis to compare things on, and
perhaps as time went on to make decisions on whether cherrypy or
django is a better fit for what we need.

Which of the two systems gives greater control for low level
operations? I'm attempting to learn Ruby on Rails right now to help
with prototyping and speeding up development, and am finding it to be
quite a pain to learn all sorts of very specific ways to manipulate
things. As much fun as it is to have your framework do all the heavy
lifting for you, I think there needs to be a relatively simple way to
jump into the database and play with the SQL code and the interactions
between the website and the database. I'm kind of assuming that both
frameworks allow you to play with the HTML, javascript and CSS easily
if you need to.

Django is definitely higher level than CherryPy. Which is better totally depends on what is being done and who is doing it.

-Casey