Re: [pygame] Synthesised sound

Pete Shinners wrote:
> Damien Miller wrote:
>
>> I am pretty new to PyGame (and python in general), but I am loving it
>> so far. The combination of PyGame + PIL + PyOpenGL seems especially
>> powerful.
>
> cool. glad things are working. i'm curious, what are you using PIL for?
> i know it has some more advanced filtering like blurs and such, but is
> there something specific you are using that pygame doesn't do?

Its filtering seems a little more powerful, e.g. for automatically
generaring minimaps from larger background tiles. Using blurs, etc for
effects is also interesting, but I suspect that these may end up being
too slow...

>> The equivalent for audio is not so clear. I would like to be able to
>> do audio synthesis and/or processing in my application (e.g, doppler
>> shifting). Can anyone point me in the right direction.
>
> your best bet will be to use Numeric to create and alter sounds. there
> are no real examples of this currently, but if you understand how sound
> works it should not be difficult to start playing with it.

[excellent intro elided]

> in cvs pygame also has new "sound queueing" functions, so you can
> sequence sounds together. this lets you create continuous dynamic sound
> be feeding small buffers of audio data to the mixer and having it queue
> them together. i have an example of this somewhere, i should put it
> online, since it needs a little explanation on how to tie it all
> together. (basically mixing the new sound "finished" events and sound
> queues)

I'd like to see this - there would be a number of advantages to doing it
this way rather than building up large chunks of sound to feed to the mixer.

Can anyone point me to a good example of a fast scrolling background
(full-screen or nearly full-screen)?

-d