Re: [pygame] pygame for commercial use

Python and Pygame have no browser plug-ins, but it has an
easy-to-install run-time library and can be compiled with the disutils
to run on virtually any imaginable platform. However, disutils (such
as the implementation py2exe) are sometimes tricky. I, for one, can't
get them to work at all ;)

I've gotten py2exe to work with Pygame. I use it to package a little color book program I wrote for Windows users. Seems to work pretty well although I suggest using other tools to make the installation more Windows-like. There are several pretty good free installation tools available for Windows and some are even opensource. Some can be tricky to learn to use but not really difficult.

I'm also interested in getting into $$$ downloadable games, but I'm
still working on an ideal distribution package. Perhaps you can take
a look at the proposed pygame launcher development.

I was thinking of doing this with small games. Selling the nicely packaged versions as downloads for $5 each and possibly even offer several games on a CD that they can order. I even have the domain name registed already. I was just working on some more small games to sell. I'd be glad to offer other peoples games for sale from my website also if anybody had something that was pretty polished for release. I could help you with testing and creating the installers if needed. I think there is a market for small affordable games. Card games, simple logic games, classic games, etc. A lot of people don't have the time or interest to play the latest MMORPG or 3D shooter but obviously they still like games. I'm working on some of these basic games and I have a special interest in edutainment games. If we could get several reasonably experienced (at least as much as myself, which isn't really that much) Pygame developers interested I'd like to hire some artists to provide artwork, sound effects, music etc for our games. I'd also like to have every game packaged for easy installation and play on Unix/Linux and MacOS.

--
Michael <mogmios@mlug.missouri.edu>
http://kavlon.org