Re: [pygame] blitting from-to surface with per-pixel alpha doesn't work...

Since Brian mentioned OpenGL, I suppose I will throw in the obligatory plug
for PyOpenGL here. I still use Pygame heavily in my stuff, but I've switched
to OpenGL for drawing, exclusively. It's seriously fast, looks good, allows
heavy alpha tricks with limited performance hit, and IMO it's actually in
some ways easier than 2D SW sprites once you get the hang of it.

Of course, the main drawback is that it increases dependencies and machine
specs (you need an OpenGL-compatible card, and functional OpenGL drivers).
But then, if your machine is so old it doesn't have an OpenGL compatible
card, is it really going to be able to draw a software-rendered game at
playable rates? Probably the limiting factor here is whether or not there are
OpenGL drivers for your video card on your OS of choice.

I would probably still use software rendering for anything like a card game,
strategy game (maybe), or any of the myriad of classical desktop puzzle
games. For most realtime stuff, I'd go with OpenGL.

	-Matt Bailey