Re: [pygame] Rpg Game ?

Thanks jason :)
And i didnt know about gtk :o it sounds nice lol xD

2006/11/10, Jason Massey <jason.massey@xxxxxxxxx>:
One person doing an RPG is definitely doable.  The original Ultima on the Apple II was done by one person, and he didn't have anything like SDL and pygame, not to mention the python programming language itself.

Here's a good link, an RPG built from scratch in a week, by one person, using pygame:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2259.asp

On 11/10/06, Noah Kantrowitz <kantrn@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I usually just lurk on this list, but this is a pet peeve of mine.

On Nov 10, 2006, at 6:01 PM, federico ramirez wrote:
> Basically php is a programming
> language only for websites, you cant use it for desktop programming
> like perl.

No, it can be used for whatever you use it for. There are GTK
bindings, and several desktop apps written in PHP (I think they are
crazy for doing it, but to each his own).

> With PHP you can make everything you have ever seen on a website :P
> forums, sites,tutorials systems, ftp manager, etc
> If you want more info about php you can visit my site www.php4all.org
> And about putting that in a site, browsers, such as internet
> explroer, firefox, opera, etc, only "understand" java, flash, and
> other few languages for game programming

CPython isn't on that list, but Jython runs on the Java VM. Pygame in
particular requires a C-only library (SDL), but one could certainly
use a Java display library and input system through Jython.

> And python is not in that list :P
> Pygame cannot be added into a website like a flash game :/
> At least i have never seen one...

W.r.t the original question about making an RPG; most RPGs are made
by teams of dozens of artists and designers over several years. RPGs
in general are very asset-heavy, meaning they need a lot more art/
sound/design than code. This basically rules them out as an option
for most 1-person-to-small teams. If you would like to work an RPG,
my recommendation would be to find a team already working on one, and
offer to help out. I know the PlaneShift team is always looking  for
an extra hand.

--Noah

--
Best Regards.