Re: [pygame] pygame hangs with some mp3 files and hangs the hole prozess

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 09:26:48PM -0700, Pete Shinners wrote:
> Lenard Lindstrom wrote:
> >Pygame uses smpeg for mp3s. smpeg hasn't changed in SVN for at least a
> >year, so any recently installed version should be up-to-date.
>
> The SMPEG library is a fairly simple mpeg decoder. It will not do a good
> job with MP3 files that are VBR or have an ID3V2 tag. If you have an mp3
> that isn't playing well, try to run it through a quality encoder and set
> it to basic encoding options. Even better would be convert the MP3 into
> an OGG. Smaller file and better compatibility.

Does pygame use smpeg directly, or does it use it by way of SDL_mixer?

I am fairly certain that SDL_mixer can be optionally recompiled to use
libmad instead of smpeg, which gives much better mp3 decoding support,
at the cost of an extra library dependency.

---
James Paige