Re: [pygame] ANN: pyglet 1.0beta1

Hmmn...

That sounds like an excellent default behavior.  However there are a good are good reasons for wanting to change the screen resolution:

- The game is pixel art based and only "looks right" at 640x480
- The game uses a lot of high-powered features and the game wishes to give the end user the option to play the game at a lower resolution if their GPU isn't up to handling it at 1600x1200 or whatever their desktop is set at

Anyway - I'm excited to see it's reached beta.  I will give it a try one of these days :)

Thanks!
Phil

Casey Duncan <casey@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Nov 9, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Dave LeCompte (really) wrote:

> "Richard Jones" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 10 Nov 2007, Brian Fisher wrote:
>>> Does pyglet let the developer get full-screen mode in the resolution
>>> of their choice, or are they still restricted to having full-screen
>>> resolution be the same as the users desktop resolution?
>>
>> You get the desktop resolution. You can alter the default OpenGL
>> projection to
>> display a different resolution.
>
> It's certainly true that you can change the projection, but that
> doesn't
> change the screen resolution - Pyglet philosophically chooses not
> to allow
> the programmer (or user) the option to change the screen resolution.
>
> Some arguments for this include:
> - some users have LCD screens that have a single acceptable resolution
> - some OSes behave strangely if a single monitor of a multiple monitor
> setup changes its resolution
> - sometimes exiting uncleanly leaves a monitor in an incorrect state

That's all well and good, but it seems pretty presumptuous for a
purported library to make policy decisions like that. One of my first
rules about libraries is that they stay out of the way as much as
possible.

In my experience very few commercial games leave the resolution alone
in fullscreen mode and modern LCD displays seem to have little
trouble dealing with multiple resolutions acceptably.

Oh well, that's probably a deal breaker for me for game development.

-Casey