Re: [pygame] ANN: pyglet 1.0beta1

On Nov 9, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Dave LeCompte (really) wrote:

"Richard Jones" <richardjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007, Brian Fisher wrote:
Does pyglet let the developer get full-screen mode in the resolution
of their choice, or are they still restricted to having full-screen
resolution be the same as the users desktop resolution?

You get the desktop resolution. You can alter the default OpenGL
projection to
display a different resolution.

It's certainly true that you can change the projection, but that doesn't change the screen resolution - Pyglet philosophically chooses not to allow
the programmer (or user) the option to change the screen resolution.

Some arguments for this include:
- some users have LCD screens that have a single acceptable resolution
- some OSes behave strangely if a single monitor of a multiple monitor
setup changes its resolution
- sometimes exiting uncleanly leaves a monitor in an incorrect state

That's all well and good, but it seems pretty presumptuous for a purported library to make policy decisions like that. One of my first rules about libraries is that they stay out of the way as much as possible.

In my experience very few commercial games leave the resolution alone in fullscreen mode and modern LCD displays seem to have little trouble dealing with multiple resolutions acceptably.

Oh well, that's probably a deal breaker for me for game development.

-Casey