Re: [pygame] Mac Newbie - Help!

At 8:17 AM -0800 10/30/01, Pete Shinners wrote:
>now if i can turn this around and ask my own befuddled macos question...
>when i installed pygame on my brothers laptop, all the .PY files
>were associated with simpletext. i couldn't figure out a way to make
>them automatically run with the actual python interpreter. so
>running each example involved dragging the .PY file onto the python
>interpreter icon. not the biggest problem, but that python
>interpreter is buried a little deep, so quickly launching any python
>script is a bit of work. i assume there's an easy solution, but it
>didn't show itself to me :-/  help?

Quick and dirty way:

Put an alias of the python interpreter on the desktop so you don't
have to navigate the folder hierarchy. (Select the interpreter in the
Finder, choose the File->Make Alias menu command, then drag the alias
to the desktop or wherever.)

Long way:

Whatever uncompressed the archive with the .py files in it (probably
Stuffit Expander) probably didn't know what application to associate
with those files, so it assigned them to SimpleText by default.

To fix those files, get a batch converter -- here's a decent one:
   http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=8213&db=mac

To fix the uncompress-time association, go to the Internet control
panel, Advanced tab, File Mapping topic from the vertical list on the
left, and set up a .py mapping to your liking. Now any new files will
get associated with the interpreter (or whatever you set).

Hope this helps,
Ian