Re: [pygame] Mac Newbie - Help!

Chris Scott wrote:

> Trying to get started with pygame on a Mac G4, but I can't seem to beat the
> errors. I'm having problems with the pygame.font module - it doesn't seem to
> recognize any of my true type fonts. I've tried bluebold and arial, both
> throw errors that they are not defined. When I manage to get the thing to
> run, it winds up throwing an errors that it's not configured to run threads?
> This is all on the chimp tutorial!

heh, ok, i'll try to help out here. but we're gonna need the big help
from our other mac users. unfortunately i haven't seen much from bob
lately (who created the original prebuilt libraries).

first, i'm assuming this is MacOS (not OSX) and you installed from the
prebuilt SIT file on the pygame page? using macpython 2.0?

i did just install pygame on my brother's powerbook, and i don't believe
we had any big problems. do the other examples run? one i do remembered
running good was the "liquid" example.

as for the threading error. none of the pygame examples require
threading. on MacOS (classic) python does not have support for threads,
so unfortunately SolarWolf will not run on macos. all the other pygame
games and examples should run ok.

anyways, hopefully with a little more information, someone who knows
their way around the macos block can tip in a little advice?

now if i can turn this around and ask my own befuddled macos question...
when i installed pygame on my brothers laptop, all the .PY files were
associated with simpletext. i couldn't figure out a way to make them
automatically run with the actual python interpreter. so running each
example involved dragging the .PY file onto the python interpreter icon.
not the biggest problem, but that python interpreter is buried a little
deep, so quickly launching any python script is a bit of work. i assume
there's an easy solution, but it didn't show itself to me :-/  help?