Re: [pygame] 3D performance?

On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 12:05 AM, theGREENzebra wrote:

>> Would it be possible to produce an engine on the level of certain
>> older 3D games, such as Quake2 or Shogo?
>
> The real question is, would it be possible to produce a 3D game, and
> the
> answer is no. Pygame can still help you with the music, sound, input
> handling, fonts, and even some texture/surface stuff, but does not
> contain
> functions for drawing 3D graphics.

I'd have to agree with the man here. I've played with raycasting using
Numeric and Pygame and got about 5fps, unoptimised (320x200x8 G4).
There's a lot of improvements you could make, but I think you'd be
lucky to do Wolfenstein or Doom (without OpenGL) at a decent
framerate... :)

I await the PCR entry that proves me wrong! ;)

"Microsoft is like Islam -- it is unwise to criticise either in print."
       - Anonymous XBox Developer, Edge #102, Pg.9