Re: framework proposal - was Re: [pygame] Re: Distribution of Work

 --- Paul Boehm <paul@soniq.net> wrote: > On Sun, Oct
05, 2003 at 03:19:57PM -0600, Rainer
> Deyke wrote:
> > Gerrit Holl wrote:
> > > Well, I don't, really. But I have had
> difficulties in implementing
> > > my ideas: when Brian gets near the edge, scroll
> so that he gets in
> > > the centre, but don't do it in one giant step
> but in 10 small steps.
> > > The problem being that Brian moves in those 10
> frames... but this
> > > problem is solvable of course.
> >
> > Please don't.  Scrolling like that would severely
> decrease the enjoyability
> > of the game for me.
>
> i think it is time to add optional 2d opengl support
> to pygame.
> i have a small demo of an adventure engine written
> in pygame, and when
> i try hard, i can achieve constant ~26fps without
> opengl(when fullscreen
> scrolling), but have no problems maintaining more
> than 100fps(i don't
> remember the exact number, but it's highly machine
> dependent anyway)
> with opengl, enjoying all the neat toys, like
> rotation,
> zooming, colouring, transparency, ... of the opengl
> world.
>
> i have absolutly no clue how to use opengl, and i'm
> using a small
> python module written by someone i am no longer am
> in contact with,
> that can load images as opengl textures, and display
> them on request.
> It is without license however, so i cannot
> distribute it.
>
> it looks like it is possible to translate most of
> the instructions straight
> to pyopengl, but i haven't tried.
>
> in my code i have seperate input, gfx, sound, ...
> modules, supporting
> external plugins, that can be extended with a
> component system.
>
> i think we should start a community effort to write
> a really low level
> framework that begins by abstracting pygame a little
> more, while
> avoiding the temptation of doing something fancy.
> layer on layer, it
> should be easy to see at what level of abstraction
> we are moving out of
> the framework area (because the apis are no longer
> generically usable by
> all or most games), and there other efforts can
> continue, writing
> abstractions that are usable for more specific types
> of games.
>
> pete, is it possible for you to open a repository
> for such an effort?
>
>   paul

There is some code I have started to use opengl using
the pygame sprite api.  It works ok, but some parts
don't work with some games very well.  It needs more
optimization for certain cases, and bug fixes for
other cases.  The code is on my hard drive as a work
in never ending progress.  Would like some help from
some other opengl people to fix it up.

There is also glSDL which seems to work ok for some
games.

Please note that the new SDL is quite a bit faster
with the new mmx blitters.  Not sure if pygame is
using that yet?

Have fun!