Re: [pygame] First stable release of my online game (Crescent Dawn Online)

Patrick Mullen wrote:
Hello pygame people :) I've developed this game over the past year with a partner, we use a combination of the Blender game engine and python to make it all work. My partner pretty much handles all of the visuals and sound, while I get the fun job - programming.

Technically, it's a pretty complicated beast. The launcher is programmed in pure python+pygame, while the actual game portion uses the blender engine for graphics. The server is mostly python though: I use pyODE for collisions, sqlobject for database access, and sockets for network communication. There are many levels of abstraction, and much of the code is shared between the server and the client. Only at a very high level do they differ. I actually mimicked twisted's protocol design, with the handle_* functions to deal with different events. It made writing the server and client pretty easy, until I get into the complicated object/database systems. If you have any more questions on how it was programmed, feel free to ask.

I did use twisted before, but I had many problems with that design. Possibly it was my inexperience, but I felt twisted was too big for what I was doing. Sockets are a different beast as well, but I struggled through it.

Unfortunately it's not open source, at least for the time being. My partner and I are conflicted about this, so its closed source for now. It is going to be commercial in the future, however that will only happen at the point in time where I would pay for my own game. So there is a security issue to deal with.

Anyway, I thought it would be cool to get a few more testers who aren't in the blender community to see what they think, I'm not confident enough to post it on any gaming sites yet, so I popped on over to my other favorite development community :)

Let me know how it works for you. I'm especially interested in linux users, as i have had reports about weird things like the mouse not working.

http://cdo.dawnsoft.org/
it's RABIDPOOBEAR!
gotta go to calculus!
eek.