Re: [pygame] Re: pygame performance

Could someone point me to a fast little 2D game written in pygame?

I'm not sure wether I go with python+pygame or Blitz Max... Blitz Max isn't free, but seems really nice, the language is much more powerful than Blitz Basic's one and is cross-platform.

On 10/20/06, Brian Fisher <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/20/06, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >If you're doing full-screen scrolling though, there probably will be speed
> issues.
>
> yes.. that's is what I'm affraid of. Blitz has extremelly fast scrolling
> speeds. I think that what gives consistency and beauty to a 2D game is
> actually fast scrolling speeds.

Achieving fast scrolling speeds is not going to be something that
python as a language will seriously get in the way of. The issue with
achieving fast scrolling is primary about what your rendering approach
is.

Blitz does hardware acceleration for it's 2d rendering, so it can get
fast scrolling easily. SDL (what PyGame uses) has very fast software
rendering that can be used for low-res scrolling pretty well, and it
supports hardware accelerated rendering that can do scrolling very
well with some limitations on how you render. If you use OpenGL
(through PyOpenGL), you can get very fast scrolling and use quite a
lot of advanced features, with significantly more work on your part.

So Blitz's rendering features may make things easier for you than
pygame and pyopengl will, but Python itself won't keep you from
getting fast smooth scrolling. If pygame and pyopengl sound like they
won't get you where you want, you may be happy with some other 2d
rendering lib somebody has written (likely something that wraps
pyopengl)