Re: [pygame] image.load() -->> array?

On 10/26/07, Ian Mallett <geometrian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     No, because if your framerate is 900fps, but your refresh rate is 60fps,
> then every 60th of a second, the most up-to-date frame to that point is
> drawn.  At 900fps, then, at max, the frame was rendered 1/900th of a second
> ago.  If, however, your frame rate is 60fps, like your refresh rate, the
> frame was rendered 1/60th of a second ago. That's 15 times the delay.

You are correct that there will be a lower latency with a higher fps,
but I think looking at it as "15 times the delay" for a 1/60th sec.
latency gives a distorted perspective of the situation.

Basically you are looking at 16.6ms latency vs. 1.1ms latency. It's
big difference as a percentage, but it's better to evaluate each of
those latency amounts in a meaningful context to understand the
difference between the two then it is to just compute some number. For
instance, 13500fps would be better than 900fps cause 900fps would have
15 times the delay, right? but arguing for 13500fps over 900fps in
order to make a better game would be a pretty ridiculous argument

I think a good context tends to be reaction time - in other words
comparing  how much delay the system introduces, compared to how much
latency people take in order to react to what they see. Well trained
athlete response times can get down to like 200ms (for more info check
wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_time )

So considering the game will already need to be designed to
accommodate about 200ms reaction time from seeing something to player
action no matter what your frame rate is, how much worse is it to set
up your game to accommodate 216.6ms of reaction time?  Or to put it
another way, if a 900fps player will take 201.1ms to stop their car
from flipping, or aim and shoot the head of the other player, or dodge
the bullet of the enemy, how much worse will their experience be when
at 60fps when they take 216.6ms to do the same action?