Re: [pygame] Blended tile systems

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 11:58 PM, Ian Mallett <geometrian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On a completely tangential note:
> That fish looks cool, but geez, what a low res. shadowmap--or is the scene
> itself much larger?
> Ian

Thanks, that was before I read how to use lights in Blender. There are
2 sorts, ray traced and normal (faster) but in both cases to get good
results you have to use good settings and place the lamps in the right
spots. This is normal with bad settings.

That fish was one of the first blender pictures I ever did. If I were
to redo it, I would texture the skin, fix the lights, and make the
eyes 3d and with clear parts and proper shine. Adding some twist might
make it look a bit more lively too.

Here is an artsy planet that I did about 6 months ago with much better lighting.
http://flickr.com/photos/26219620@N08/2499094442/sizes/l/

I am now learning animation. Man, is that a LOT of work!
http://www.youtube.com/user/xomagick

BTW a great book is "The Animator's Survival Kit". It is a real must
have for any game programmer that wants to do more than move tanks and
bullets. It is really aimed at artist that do drawing animation but
does talk a bit about computer stuff too. Don't waste your money on
other books in the class, this one is all you need for some time.
Anyone know about the book Illusions of life? I keep hearing it is
good but it costs a lot and I am not sure if it is just history or if
it is worth reading to lean something more than Survival Kit has?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786860707?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=0786860707

This is the amazon link from my website for the book.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0571202284?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0571202284

Get Mancandy character, so that you can play with the animation that
you learn about without having to make and bone your own character
(Lot of work just to lean that bit!). The Mancandy DVDs are great for
learning also and if you are poor you can get them for free with the
authors blessings.
http://www.blendernation.com/2007/10/18/mancandy-officially-released/

I often use the 3d models to make 2d pictures for my 2d games. They
come out way better than I can draw them. You can also very often find
free models. The you can use them as is or wrap them in a lattice and
change there looks without having to do anything to the verts or bones
or animation.

Sorry, guess that is more than anyone wanted to know about blender and
animation but that is what I am thinking about 24-7. :-)

Have fun all!

--
Douglas E Knapp