Re: [pygame] Indie Game Host

Quoting Nathan Whitehead <nwhitehe@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Matt Kremer <mattk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Okay, it seems that PyGame games do work with http://gmarcade.com, I have
uploaded someone's pong game:
And it works just fine with Play Game Online. It must have just been an
issue with Kite Story.

Thank you for trying this and verifying that it works, at least for
some python games.  Some comments: you should put a progress bar for
the download that shows how much has been downloaded and how much
remains.  In general, I am a bit unclear what the advantage of using
the jnlp is.  For me at least I still had to click "yes" or "run" or
whatever a couple times, just like I do with exe files.  I'm not a
windows user normally, though, so my system may be horribly out of
date and not representative of most users.
--
Nathan Whitehead

No problem, I believe it should work with all .exe games...I'm not sure why Kite Runner is having problems. Anyways, as for the progress bar, I have tried many times...and cannot seem to get it to work right. I'm going to have my JAVA teacher look at it some time.

As for the advantage of using a .jnlp, I used to have a web applet, but users were complaining about load time. So I switched to .jnlp and this allowed Play Game Online buttons to be put in Forum topics as well. In IE I believe I have the settings correct to where it doesn't ask you to open or save...but I can't get it to work in Firefox.

You should only have to click "Run" once when using my site on the same computer if you save the settings and allow GMArcade.com to run JAVA without asking questions.

~Matt