Re: [pygame] 10 bits per color

Nirav Patel wrote:
> René was referring to average cameras doing 8-16 per pixel, not per
> color.  Though, in a Bayer sensor, I guess you could calculate it
> either way.  The Foveon sensor is of course different.  Even if the
> display is not capable of showing 10 bits per color, it makes sense to
> capture at it to allow for post processing.  You could mess with the
> levels or extend contrast without running into banding or aliasing or
> having to dither.
>
> Nirav
>
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 9:53 AM, PierreLafrance1@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> <PierreLafrance1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> René Dudfield wrote:

>>> sounds like a fun project!
>>>
>>> from my understanding of non-cutting-edge cmos sensors, they give out
>>> 8-16bit per pixel of range?  Then for color they use a bayer filter,
>>> to filter out the various wave lengths of light... usually RGB
>>> filters.  Of course if you took 1/3rd the resolution of that image,
>>> then it could be 16/16/16 per pixel I guess.
>>>
>>> In the same sense you could work with a pygame Surface - but think of
>>> the colors in a different resolution.  Double the resolution, and
>>> you've doubled the color depth.
>>>
>>> But you might want to check out exr... http://www.openexr.com/  and
>>> it's python bindings...
>>> http://excamera.com/sphinx/articles-openexr.html
>>>

>>> ... thinking of it a bit more... you should be able to display higher
>>> depths via opengl.
>>>
>>> With pygame and opengl you should be able to set a higher bit depth...
>>> if your driver supports it.
>>> see: http://pygame.org/docs/ref/display.html#pygame.display.gl_set_attribute
>>>
>>> Then send your data to the relevant bit depth gl texture, and you
>>> should be able to display whatever your driver supports
>>>

>>> cu.
>>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>>> they give out 8-16bit per pixel of range?
>> René, you put the fingers exactly in the center of our question: Why
>> camera gave 12, or even 14 bits per color, if Windows, Display, Grahic
>> cards are limited to 8 bits per color ?
>> HDMI 1.3 is 1 year old only, Windows will support this (correctly ???)
>> in 1 month.  Only specialized software are supporting this.  But who has
>> PhotoShop at home ?
>>
>> Ok, some print pictures, but in my opinion, there are even less dynamic
>> range on paper than on LCD (this need to be confirm).
>>
>> About Bayer, some sensor work differently, if you are interrested, look
>> at Foveon sensor (bought by Sigma), and this patent:
>> http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=_mzIAAAAEBAJ&dq=Yves+Audet
>> That's my boss's patent, the CMOS sensor I'm working on
>>
>> And yes it's a fun projet, mixing Pygame with chips design :-D
>>
>> Pierre

Hi
Sorry I was not clear.  Most camera now have RAW mode with more than 8
bits per color (in Bayer color space).  Some hi-end camera (like Nikon)
capture images with 14bits per pixel

Why is this, when current display are limited to 8 bits per color ?

It's interresting to see all these answers from Pygame users.  I'm
really happy to see there a lot of knowledge people in this mailing list.

Thanks

Pierre