Re: [pygame] roguelike question

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Michael Schultz
<michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Have you read PEP 8?
>>
>> Your Common.Common class, which has two unrelated methods and no
>> instance state, and is instantiated everywhere for a single use and then
>> discarded, is not how we do things in Python land.  What's wrong with a
>> simple global function?
>

> I only discovered PEP 8 recently, so I don't have it down. And I'm not sure what you mean by "global function" I put it in a class so that I could access it in the files that needed it. Is that not correct?

Well, the idea that you need to

"put it in a class"
in order to
"access it in the files that needed it"

is certainly not correct. You could do it that way, however like
Marius says, that's a very strange usage.
A more sensible usage could be:
1. Scrap the class, move the two functions out into the main scope of
the 'Common' module (correspondingly removing the 'self' parameter)
2. Replace code like

c = Common.Common()

self.text, self.rect = c.draw_font(txt, color)

with

self.text, self.rect = Common.draw_font(txt, color)

HTH.