Re: [pygame] Pygame with Sierra

I’ve found that I can use the pip version of pygame (version 1.9.2b6) on Sierra, with a little bit of help.

It can’t find a few libraries, but it will find them if you copy them to /usr/local/lib like this:

mkdir -p /usr/local/lib

cd /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pygame/.dylibs

cp libfreetype.6.dylib /usr/local/lib

cp libjpeg.8.dylib /usr/local/lib

cp libpng16.16.dylib /usr/local/lib

cp libportmidi.dylib /usr/local/lib

cd /usr/local/lib

ln -s libfreetype.6.dylib libfreetype.dylib

ln -s libjpeg.8.dylib libjpeg.dylib

ln -s libpng16.16.dylib libpng.dylib

A few things still don’t work:

·         pygame.mixer.music does not work, as it relies on libsmpeg.dylib which isn’t available

·         pygame.font.SysFont and pygame.font.get_fonts don’t work, and produce a dialog asking about installing X11

I’ve worked around the SysFont problem by using pygame.font.Font instead and giving it direct pathnames to the fonts stored in /System/Library/Fonts and /Library/Fonts.  It’s ugly (and not very portable) but works as a stopgap until the final 1.9.2 release comes out which will hopefully have these issues resolved.

Andrew Merrill

Andrew Merrill, Upper School Computer Science Teacher
8825 SW Barnes Rd. Portland, OR 97225
T: 503-297-1894 x  | E: MerrillA@xxxxxxxxxx
www.catlin.edu