Re: [pygame] Pygame with Sierra

When I first compiled pygame for the mac back then (1.5 years ago?) I also got everything to work BUT I had those same issues. I had to open only BMP images, jpeg etc gave errors and stuff like that. When I talked to the people in Anaconda, they claimed that the libraries, many if not all that Andrew mentioned, were not compatible with those that the Anaconda stuff was linked with and therefore the issues. So they pointed me to someone who actually did to the compilation using those linked libraries and everything went fine. The only issue that I have with the pip version is that when it opens some images, there are warnings about pngs having some issues with headers or something - but the images are actually opened. I did not get these warnings with the conda version.
Additionally, I have a Midi File reader (perhaps it’s some example from pygame itself, but I don’t remember) and this is working fine. Also in the game that I wrote for the Rice Coursera course, there are images, wav files ogg files and the like - they are all loading with the pip version.

You do need to update Xcode and install afterwards the newer version and update a lot of packages to those packages compiled on Sierra. But this is easy - I did it on Conda and on Homebrew. I mistakenly did it on pip and I got duplicates for some of the packages. I regretted it while I was doing it, but it was too late. However once things were updated, I found that things worked fine for me.

And not just pygame had issues, by the way. There were a lot of issues with numpy and matplotlib (and others) as well.  I am going to write to the Anaconda guys and see what they suggest but in all honesty, I think that the pip version, for me, excluding the png warning thing which is no big deal, is actually working.

Jeff