RE: [pygame] 3D engine ?

Other likely accelerator points:
	normal generation and tessellation of rapidly changing geometry
	reading of binary file formats for multi-megabyte files
	subdivision surface LOD calculation? (seems likely)
	particle systems (at least those not amenable to Numeric)

As a note: culling and collision detection are pretty big in my want list :)
.

I actually use display arrays all through my code.  It's just that without
the little accelerators for some areas you spend a lot of time on
work-arounds to get decent speed.  I'd rather have accelerator functions and
these features available :) .

It might be possible to code the entire collision algo or an uber-flexible
particle system with a Numeric array where each object updates its item in
the array when it changes and you just zap through the whole array.  While
that's possible, little pieces of simple accelerator code in a utility
library are often more flexible and re-usable across projects (not to
mention easier to follow when reading the code).

Anyway, I think we're basically agreeing that Python is froody for most of
the code, but that certain hot-spots might need some clever hacking or C
code (if we include them).

Remember your towels,
Mike