[pygame] Fwd: Pygame OSX

-------- Original Message --------
From: Bob Ippolito <bob@mastersofbranding.com>
To: pygame-users@seul.org

On Wednesday, Sep 11, 2002, at 10:26 US/Eastern, bweiland@chiinc.com
wrote:

 > I've been working on getting pygame 1.5.3 installed under OS X
 > (10.2). Korruptor had posted a note here about doing this with
 > the default SDL-devel pkg.  This worked for me on my TiBook
 > that had a previous install of Bob Ippolito's kitchen-sink
 > package still laying around, although I think it was making
 > use of the old SDL install.  However, trying to build and
 > install on a new/clean 10.2 system is not working.  BTW, I'm
 > using/trying to use the default python 2.2 installed with
 > Jaguar.

The jag python will certainly not work, you'll need a framework
build  of a recent python (preferably from the 2.3alpha branch).
Trust me on this one; it's possible, but requires some serious
WindowServer hacking in undocumented don't-touch-me land... that
will likely be totally different b/n 10.1 and 10.2 and will probably
change again.

Here's what I recommend:
# checkout latest CVS python, build and install with:
./configure --enable-framework ; make ; sudo make frameworkinstall

Compile/Install dependencies (libpng, zlib, etc.. whatever you need)

Checkout the SDL12, SDL_image, SDL_mixer, SDL_ttf2 packages from
CVS, tar zxvf PBProjects.tar.gz in each of them.. opt-cmd-e (edit
target) and change @executable_path/../Frameworks/ to
/Library/Frameworks/ and build away

Compile/Install PIL and Numeric

Should be safe to install pygame from there.  If you don't have a
sdl-config in your path, snag it from my ancient distribution or
something, or poke around in the SDL12 dir to see if it's there.