[pygame] newbie: make a transparent pygame window

How do I make a transparent pygame window?
If it helps, I'm developing this for XFree86-4.3 on
x86-linux-2.4

I know that X windows has the 'SHAPE' extension to
make parts of windows transparent, which is shown in
the xeyes program. Maybe this could somehow help,
though I don't know how I could program such a thing.

I'd like to display some text in addition to graphics
and I think that w/ the SHAPE extension I have to
define a geometric shape, which would be very
difficult to do for text.

I would appreciate any help or example code,
thanx in advance.

:)