Re: [pygame] using opengl in pygame?

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Jan Ekholm wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Jasper Phillips wrote:

> >> Good luck with your project! I've always loved strategy games, so some
> >> discussions about those on this list wouldn't be too bad. :) What kind of
> >> networking solution do you have?
> >
> >Thanks, I hope it comes off well!  Still a long haul until I'm done however.
> >I'm avoiding talking much about my game until it nears completion, as I
> >don't want to get forgotten in the sea of mediocre and unfinished games.
> >I'd much rather come out guns blazing (well, as much as one man shop can!)
> >
> >For networking I use Twisted, which works nicely.  I've stumbled across a
> >couple of bugs, but it's good stuff.  Certainly worlds better than socket
> >programming!
>
> A late reply to this post...
>
> Anyway, how have your experiments with Twisted worked out? Still using it?
> Would you recommend it? I've always been a bit against the way that
> Twisted is a bit like "do it my way or no way" and prefers to steal the
> main loop and delegate your game/app to just a small plugin in the Twisted
> Framework (with a capital F). :)

My experimentation with Twisted stopped more than a year ago.  Now I simply
use it, and it works nicely.  I highly recommend it.

I don't understand people's fixation with the "main loop".  It's a very
small bit of code, which does little of interest.  You can still plug
whatever you like into it's thin wrapper -- and honestly, what do you gain
from scheduling network events in your own loop?  It's not like you have
complete control anyway, since the OS handles the true "main loop".  The
only problem I've seen is that it's a bit tricky to combine with other
frameworks that want to do the same thing (e.g. wxPython), but only just a
bit since it's easy to time slice one into the other.

IMHO, Twisted's framework (spelled with a lowercase f) is barely noticeable.
My use of it is abstracted in some remote file I never even look at.

-Jasper