Re: [pygame] using opengl in pygame?

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Jasper Phillips wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Jan Ekholm wrote:

>> A late reply to this post...
>>
>> Anyway, how have your experiments with Twisted worked out? Still using it?
>> Would you recommend it? I've always been a bit against the way that
>> Twisted is a bit like "do it my way or no way" and prefers to steal the
>> main loop and delegate your game/app to just a small plugin in the Twisted
>> Framework (with a capital F). :)
>
>My experimentation with Twisted stopped more than a year ago.  Now I simply
>use it, and it works nicely.  I highly recommend it.

Can you also recommend some tutorial material that helped you along the
way? I think I had better have a look at this thing, so that I don't later
in my life wake up and know I've missed out on something exceptional. :)

>I don't understand people's fixation with the "main loop".  It's a very
>small bit of code, which does little of interest.  You can still plug
>whatever you like into it's thin wrapper -- and honestly, what do you gain
>from scheduling network events in your own loop?  It's not like you have
>complete control anyway, since the OS handles the true "main loop".  The
>only problem I've seen is that it's a bit tricky to combine with other
>frameworks that want to do the same thing (e.g. wxPython), but only just a
>bit since it's easy to time slice one into the other.

Well, if you do animation and other stuff that is somewhat time critical
it's nice to know that you have control of when the system will perform
heavy and/or blocking stuff. You can also decide that some parts of your
loop are less important and can be scheduled only every tenth iteration or
something similar.

--
    - "Remember -- that which does not kill us can only make us stronger."
    - "And that which does kill us leaves us dead!"