[pygame] game design techniques

I'm starting to do some game design for the first time. I can get
things to move around the screen, but I don't really know what I'm
doing. What are some of the game design standards? Probably for just
2D games to start.

How do you organize things? How do you get objects to move smoothly?
How do you get objects to move at different speeds? How do you get
objects to not go past, say, a wall?

Are there any good websites or books that would have some standards
for this sort of thing? Like a tutuorial or something? I've looked at
all the pygame docs examples, and that doesn't do much right now.

Thanks.

-Josh