[pygame] PyGame slowdown

I'm not at a stage where I can comment properly on this, but I hope to be in a few weeks time, however...

I've read recently on the gamedev forum about someone who had created a game and was reportedly getting a FPS of about 5k.

When he FLIPped the screen, the FPS dropped down to a mere 23fps.

He minimised the window, back up came the FPS to between 3k and 5k.

Is this a common thing, or is he

a) Don't want to use the word 'lying', but perhaps not getting his facts correct

b) Doing something horrifically wrong with his code

c) Doing everything ok and that's just how the cookie crumbles!

The response he got was pretty good, saying that he needed to check the profiler to see where the slowdown was, but I was wondering of the PyGame authors knew of this problem and had any performance tips or maybe any updates to PyGame.