Re: [pygame] Executable creation blues

On 9/28/06, Jasper <jasper@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Luke Paireepinart wrote:

> I'm sensing some python-hatin' going on here ;)
> Let me just point out that cpython is meant to be installed on the
> target machine once, not redistributed.
> Since it wasn't designed for that, trying to make it into a nice, neat
> little package doesn't work all that well.
> I just don't want you to think less of python because a 3rd-party
> tool's giving you trouble.

No, as I love working in Python, and loath C++.  Although Python is my
favorite language, I can still see it's warts. The distribution tools
available really are pretty bad, and it's not so much that "Python
wasn't designed for it", but rather that barely anyone ships Python
.exe's and so it's rare that anyone notices just how bad this aspect is.

Anyway, my reason for posting wasn't so much to complain about py2exe,
but just hoping that someone would know of something better.

> I'm not sure why you're having problems but your hunch that Numeric
> and Numpy are conflicting sounds reasonable.
> Why do you have both installed, by the way?

Because I prefer to use numpy, since it's replaced Numeric (which is now
defunct), but I also use pygame, which uses Numeric.  Fortunately, I'd
just begun to switch to numpy and it was easy enough to switch back to
Numeric, but having to change my code to get it to work isn't encouraging..

Now I'm working on this one, which I vaguely recall coming up in Pypack
discussion before:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "legacy.py", line 9, in ?
  File "Realms\Myth\Client\client.pyc", line 16, in ?
  File "Realms\Myth\Client\theme.pyc", line 8, in ?
  File "Realms\Util\surfaceTexture.pyc", line 4, in ?
  File "OpenGL\__init__.pyc", line 18, in ?
  File "OpenGL\__init__.pyc", line 14, in __set_attributes
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'c:\\BrassGolem\\Realms\\dist\\lib\\shared.zip\\OpenGL\\version'

Edit OpenGL/__init__.py and remove the "find-my-version-from-a-file" line. Set the version to a static string, or just don't set it. I'm pretty sure that it's never read by anything.

Someone should submit a patch to PyOpenGL to remove this absolutely
silly way of determining its own version.

-bob