[school-discuss] Ed App Index

While you're visting the Ed App Index organization, here are some ideas:

  1. Consider having a prominent link to it off of the main Schoolforge
page. It could be one of the most important services Schoolforge provides.

2. Call it the same thing in each place. I had a hard time refinding the
list, and found it called different things... "SEUL/Edu List",
"Educational Apps Index", that doesn't help Google.

3. Consider having a URL from Schoolforge that points to it:
schoolforge.org/apps or something. Not everyone can keep Schoolforge,
SEUL and Richtech names straight. Make it easy to remember.

4. Add a "browse by name" option to the list. I have an app in there,
but couldn't find it easily. Broken down by initial letters would be nice.

5. The list is getting large in spots. Consider another level that lists
all of the apps of a category, but doesn't give you ALL of the details.
Then have a page for each app that does give you the gory details.

6. Does it really need to be protected by password? Maybe a wiki would
work for the details? More changes and additions more quickly will help
keep it useful without weighing down a centralized controller.

7. If you do want to have it password protected, make it easy to report
changes. The download URL is wrong for my app (Edventure) but I'm not
sure what to do about it.

8. Add a search by keyword that searches descriptions.

9. Consider adding an XML interface so that others can extract the info.

10. The reviews should probably also have an intermediate page, with
details below. Would be nice to sort those by topic, rather than app name.

11. The Administration category is too broad. Consider adding "Course
Management" to that sublist.

12. Some categories are orthogonal to your current setup. For example,
"Web Service" could be a game, gradebook, or quiz. Maybe "Interface" is
a field to add. Would be nice to sort by that.

I think that it is a great service, and with a little polish, it could
turn into something really very useful.

Goodluck! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

-Doug

--
Douglas S. Blank,         Assistant Professor
dblank@brynmawr.edu,            (610)526-6501