[school-discuss] Ed App Index Updates

> It's already at the top of the Software Resources page on Schoolforge.  Isn't
> that prominent enough?

I've made it larger and dropped the NPO database in which there is not
interest.

> > 4. Add a "browse by name" option to the list. I have an app in there,
> > but couldn't find it easily. Broken down by initial letters would be nice.
> >

> That's a good idea.  Oh, Les? :-)

Done. Since the number of records returned will be restricted, complete
records are viewed.

> > 5. The list is getting large in spots. Consider another level that lists
> > all of the apps of a category, but doesn't give you ALL of the details.
> > Then have a page for each app that does give you the gory details.
> >

> Les, this could be something like the Edit list, I think, listing just the
> titles as hot links to the individual listing.  Worth considering.

Done. The categories on the right hand side of the main page will only
return name and description, not complete records.

> > 6. Does it really need to be protected by password? Maybe a wiki would
> > work for the details? More changes and additions more quickly will help
> > keep it useful without weighing down a centralized controller.
> >

> It started as a wiki.  I was the only one maintaining it, and editing the
> indexes was becoming a pain.  The database works much better.  We have some
> ideas about the maintenance that I'll mention in my next response.
>

> > 7. If you do want to have it password protected, make it easy to report
> > changes. The download URL is wrong for my app (Edventure) but I'm not
> > sure what to do about it.
> >

> For now, let me know what changes to make and I'll make them.  Eventually, we
> want to make it so the listed Author of each entry can update that entry.
> That should fix both this and the previous problem, I hope.  We also want to
> make it so anyone can review any app and have that review added to the
> record.  I suppose we should make it so that anyone _but_the_author_ can
> review the app :-).

I'll do this RSN. <grin>

> > 8. Add a search by keyword that searches descriptions.
> >

> Good idea.

Done. Returns only record descriptions.

> > 9. Consider adding an XML interface so that others can extract the info.
> >

> What are the chances of this, Les?

We already have an RDF file (in XML format) that shows new applications.
It is at: http://richtech.ca/seul/appdex1.rdf

I can export all data in CSV format if desired. I can do XML if it would
make any kind of sense. (but of course, what syntax.)

Les Richardson
H. Hardcastle School
Edam, Sk. Canada