Re: [school-discuss] Ed App Index

Doug Loss wrote:

[snip]

>>10. The reviews should probably also have an intermediate page, with
>>details below. Would be nice to sort those by topic, rather than app name.
>>
> I'm not sure I understand this.  Could you elaborate?

Currently, if you click on "View Reviews" you get a dump of all of the
reviews ever done. What might be better, especially if the number of
reviews grows, is to have an intermediate page that lists the apps, by
category, so that you could pick which review you actually want to read.
I imagine that people could then browse the reviews more easily.

>>12. Some categories are orthogonal to your current setup. For example,
>>"Web Service" could be a game, gradebook, or quiz. Maybe "Interface" is
>>a field to add. Would be nice to sort by that.
>>

> Again, I'm not clear on what you mean.  Where is "Web Service?"  Is it a
> license type?  Those weren't regularized on the wiki, and I probably had some
> strange things in a few records.  What do you mean by "Interface?"  Like KDE,
> GNOME, CLI, etc.?

Applications are useable either locally, or through a web interface from
a server (ie, "Web Service"). I am suggesting that the method of access
be stored in a field, and made searchable/sortable. There may be other
categories that cut across your categories.

> Now that you mention it...  Actually, pointing these things out _is_ helpful.
> Taking a hand in the evaluation of apps for inclusion in the ISO image would
> be helpful too.

There may be more teachers available this summer for
testing/reviews/etc. I'll be
getting more serious in a couple of weeks...

-Doug

--
Douglas S. Blank,         Assistant Professor
dblank@brynmawr.edu,            (610)526-6501