----- Message from synrg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ---------
    Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 09:56:46 -0300
    From: Ben Armstrong <synrg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
learned helplessness
      To: schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 15:53 -0500, Darryl Caldwell wrote:
And the amazing thing is that this behaviour still occurs 12 years
after the internet became popular.

Not so amazing if you consider it a case of "learned helplessness" due to the head-spinning pace of change over those twelve years. In spite of the fact that list unsbscription instructions are simple and are usually readily accessible, we are worn down by the anxiety caused by the great number of things we don't understand about computers. We have learned to not even try whenever we need to find out how to do something on our own.

Ben

----- End message from synrg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----

--
http://iteachnet.org