Re: [school-discuss] Cost comparisons for Linux vs. Windows

Am Dienstag, 13. August 2002 23:31 schrieb Tim Wilson:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm working on a paper for one of my graduate courses that is
> tentatively titled "Free As In Speech: Using Open Source Software
> In Education."

I am _preparing_ to work on the use of Free Software in music classes,
200-300 pp that should be finished in 18 months or so.

I think I know some of the applications, but any comment is welcome.

So please, spam me news that fits.

> I'm writing the paper as an advocacy piece to raise awareness of
> open source software for school technology decision makers.
> Probably the most attention-getting aspect of open source is the
> low entry cost. (My paper discusses other arguably more important
> benefits as well.)

My point is that there's many schools in Germany that are equipped
with quite suitable hardware, but there's no money left for the
software. Intel, Microsoft and other "donators" don't give presents
twice,  good 3rd party audio software for M$ is expensive and
suffering featuritis.

What do you think?
Is there use for such a document? Can a PC system for music classes be
completely free?

Check out www.agnula.org if you're interested too, I think they are
working to provide an interesting distribution, and their schedule
might fit mine.

- Burkhard

--
		no html mail please, thank you.
     public key for versuchsanstalt[at]gmx[dot]de available (pgp.net)