Re: [school-discuss] Cat-5 question

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:09, Jim Aird wrote:
> Am I going nuts or is there something to the solid piece vs. the many
> tiny strands difference?

Not AFAIK. Just be sure that the pairs match up to the pattern:

    AaBCcbDd

...or if you prefer colours use O=Orange U=blUe G=Green N=browN as follows
(the colours do actually have a proper order, but I can't remember what it
is, and it shouldn't matter within the one cable, as long as the pairs work
out), capital being solid colour and lowercase being striped/white:

    OoGBbgNn

Crimping any old how works for short cables, not for long. `Long' is a greater
distance for 10Mb than 100Mb. An example of a typical _WRONG_ pairing is:

    OoGgBbNn

Cheers; Leon