Re: [school-discuss] Cat-5 question

You should look up how to do this on the Ethernet FAQ.

It uses 2 sets of twisted pairs.(the other 2 sets are unused) One pair
sends and one pair receives. Each twisted pair is used since it uses a
differential signal to eliminate or reduce problems of interference, I
believe.

The connections used are 1,2,3, and 6. Number one in a RJ45 is the far
right one when viewed as if you're going to plug it into your mouth with
the spring lock part downwards.

1 and 2 is one pair and 3 and 6 is the other. Important.

I would suggest using standard color code wiring in case someone else
comes along afterwards...

Do not expose too much of the wires from the sheathing. (not really
critical)

Do not untwist more than 1/2" (12.5mm) of the pairs when putting on the
RJ-45 connector. (critical)

Don't bend or kink the cable.

Keep 18" or more away from fluorescent lights.

</end of 5 minute tour...>  <grin>

Good luck. If you've got the pairs right, the green light on both network
cards will light up. If one pair is wrong, one end may light but not the
other. Once you're got green lights at both ends, use ping to make sure
all is well.

Les Richardson