Re: [school-discuss] auctioning open source software

Doug Loss wrote:
On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 16:23 -0400, Daniel Howard wrote:
Folks, is anyone aware of open source software that could do this for a school that is having auctions for fundraising? If not, we should put it on someone's list, if fundraising is not an important part of school technology, I don't know what is.

http://www.phpauction.net/ http://www.everysoft.com/auction/ http://sourceforge.net/projects/bartertown/ https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpnggpl/ http://phplabs.com/scripts.php?script=Top%20Auction http://auto-auction.sourceforge.net/ http://vendue.pingdynasty.com/

This is what I could find. I don't know anything much about any of these projects. I suspect most
of them are software for setting up online auction websites similar to eBay. The auto-auction software
seems not to be that, but it also seems pretty specific to automobile auctions. I hope something here
will help.

Yah, they're all online web auction apps, with nothing that addresses e.g., generation of bid sheets and onsite payment/credit card swiping, as required in a typical onsite school auction and included in the AuctionPay software. Here's a flash movie demo'ing it, looks pretty comprehensive: http://www.auctionpay.com/events/event_software/flash.htm

I'm going to recommend that the PTA purchase this software as it really provides a turnkey solution, but hopefully over time, an open source alternative will arise. I think a lot of schools would benefit from streamlining their fundraising activities, and I'm sure a lot could not afford packages like this one.

Thanks to all for the quick reply and info!
Regards,
Daniel