Re: [school-discuss] auctioning open source software

> I'm going to recommend that the PTA purchase this software as it really
> provides a turnkey solution, but hopefully over time, an open source
> alternative will arise.  I think a lot of schools would benefit from
> streamlining their fundraising activities, and I'm sure a lot could not
> afford packages like this one.

If all that is needed is creating bid sheets and credit card swiping all
of that can be handled with a spreadsheet backing a form page and a
merchant account with a credit card machine.

Most PTA's won't need the credit card machine (checks are MUCH less
costly to process). However, many banks can handle credit card traffic
on an occasional basis for a fee. If a bank is a school partner, ask
them about handling the credit card transactions and maybe loaning a
card swiper as a donation for the event. Also, a PTA can get a <shudder>
paypal account and have a PC present and handle CC transactions "live"
that way.

Also the "old fashion" mechanical card imprint machines are very low
cost. The receipts are handled similar to a check deposit but with a
higher transaction fee.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>