[school-discuss] Security and Linux

Dear Schoolforgers,

I just got a good question from a friend in Canada and wonder if others might be
willing to address this question as it is likely to come up again. I'd
appreciate any help you might offer. Here goes:

"We're looking at a project to put cache servers in a couple of schools with
remote management
from a company in British Columbia.  They would have to come through our
district's firewall to
replenish the servers at night.  That's not fraught with concerns, believe me.
But, at a meeting
yesterday, the people that we met with made a statement that I wish that I was
more informed to
challenge.  The comment went along the lines of "Well, it's Linux.  It's secure
and you don't have
to worry about hackers."  They also were unable to tell me about the software
that would be used
and also that this software had ways to cache dynamic content.  ASP, etc.  So,
I'm sitting there in
the meeting with red flags and sirens going off but not familiar enough with
Linux to return with
probing questions.  Can you comment or point me somewhere on the net where I can
do some serious
reading?  Is there a particular piece of software running on Linux that is a
good caching software
that you'd recommend so that I can do some research?  As for caching dynamic
content, I'm just
going to have to wait and see this system live because it goes against
everything that I think I
know about the way these pages work! "

Best wishes to you all,
David