Re: [school-discuss] What's in a name?

On Thu, 2002-02-21 at 11:21, Doug Loss wrote:
> Ben Armstrong wrote:
>
> > I have a naming problem.
> >

> >         advocate
> >         agent
> >         aide
> >         guardian
> >         helper
> >         pathfinder
> >         patron
> >         sponsor
>
> My first thought is that the term "guide" is exactly what you're looking for.
> To me it connotes someone who has been through the process before and knows what
> to look for.  It also suggests that the person being guided (the child in this
> case) is actually the one calling the shots, as guides aren't generally leaders
> but subordinates.
>
> Other than that "mentor" comes to mind, but that may be too authoritatian and
> pedagogical for your needs.  All in all, I like guide.

Ben mentioned guide, but I shot it down due to manuals and how-to's
commonly being called 'Guides'. I think the name needs to be something
that the audience(children) can use to refer to the person.

--
Justin Zeigler <jzeigler@osef.org>
Open Source Education Foundation http://www.osef.org

My mind is like a rusty trap, you never know when, or if, it is
going to go off, and your likely to get tetanus when it does.