[school-discuss] ISO Award suggestions and Software Freedom Season

As we review projects for inclusion on the educational CD-ROM (the ISO
project), here's an idea: let's give out some awards. Awards might include:

  Astronomy, Best Molecule Viewer
  Administration, Best K-12 Web-based utility
  Pedagogy, Best use of learning theory in a tool

Of course, these would be limited to free/open source. Suggest giving
the award a name (something more encompassing than penguins, tux, etc):

  Golden Apple Award (overused)
  Golden Chalk Award (has been used a couple of times)
  Golden Bit Award (also used a couple of times)
  Golden Forge Award (not used; not a bad name)
  Golden Nibble Award (not used, but an esoteric computer term, but cute)

or could give a rating, like a 4 Star:

  4 Bit  (1111 wouldn't want to get just 2 Bits out of 4 :)
  4 Byte

And we could announce the award winners on the Software Freedom Season
kickoff day, one month from now.

See http://emergent.brynmawr.edu/?SoftwareFreedom

I'd be willing to help with handling nominations and voting. Anyone
second the motion?

-Doug

--
Douglas S. Blank,         Assistant Professor
dblank@brynmawr.edu,            (610)526-6501