[school-discuss] More Progress!

Hi Sam and Doug,

   The concept is picking up more steam!  Today I was back at the
technology Administrator's office.  Fortunately she realized that she
had some spare time so I  asked if she wouldn't mind sparing 5 minutes
while I show her something.

   I had preloaded a live demo CD of Knoppix Linux on a nearby
workstation and opened up Writer.  I asked her to sit down in front of
the computer and describe to me what she was looking at.  She responded
that she was looking at a word processor and that it looked like Word.
I told her to poke around and give me her impressions.  She found and
identified the icons for "New Document", "Open File", "Save File",
"Print", etc.  I had her explore the toolbar selections and then asked
her if she could see using this application within the school district.
  She responded , "Yes".  I then asked her to open up the Calc and
Impress applications, to which she responded that it's like working with
Office.  She continued exploring and found Draw and Math, which she was
impressed with, also.  I then said, "so you wouldn't have any problem
deploying an application like this in the district?"  She again
responded affirmatively.  I then said to her that this application is
absolutely free to use and deploy as she saw fit.  Her jaw just dropped
and her eyes popped out.  "Free!?"  "Yes, Lucy, free."

   The two of us are on very friendly terms.  She couldn't believe that
people worked on this and then made it available free.  I told it her
was made made by people who are good at what they do and just wanted to
make the best office software in the world, that their goal is not to be
as good as Microsoft, but better.  She was very impressed and excited.
  Needless to say my little "show-and-tell" demonstration went on for
more than 5 minutes as she kept asking me about the software.  I also
used the opportunity to show her a bit of Linux and showed her the types
of free software that comes pre-loaded with Linux.  We also wound up
discussing K12LTSP as a solution to a number of particular areas for
improvement in the district.

    She was very excited by all this.  We discussed how other districts,
such as Yonkers (where she last worked), are so strapped for money that
these solutions would open up a whole new level of technology for the
district.  I mentioned how K12LTSP could be used to boost the
capabilities of older hardware because they would be running off of a
server.  She started discussing how she was familiar with projects in
Africa to make computer technology available.  I said, "Yes, I know,
they're using Linux to do it."

    I also explained how Linux was basically Unix rewritten for the Intel
platform, and how Unix is what runs all those multi-million-dollar
mainframes..  She told me how she's familiar with Unix because that's
what her husband works with!  I said she should talk to him about it.

    I've always liked Lucy and we both respect each other.  We have
worked well together in the past, but now I think I have a very strong
and excited ally.  The district I work in is big and very influential.
All in all, I'd say it was a good day for open source.

-Jim Anderson

"There is no such thing as perfection... only different levels of pain."

Registered Linux user #269312
http://counter.li.org