[school-discuss] Fwd: Michael Hart's Birthday Wish. . . .

Subject: Michael Hart's Birthday Wish. . . .
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 09:44:58 -0500 (EST)
From: Michael Hart <hart@beryl.ils.unc.edu>
To: "Project Gutenberg volunteers" <gutvol-l@listserv.unc.edu>

I'M ASKING EVERY SINGLE ONE OF OUR VOLUNTEERS TO DO ONE EXTRA eBOOK,
over the course of the next few months. . .perhaps to consider these
as a birthday present to me, personally.  If we can accomplish this,
then we can keep up with all the various Moore's Law projections and
other predictors of our progress. . .and this will provide us with a
GREAT PLATFORM FROM WHICH TO LAUNCH OUR NEW GOALS OF 1,000,000 BOOKS
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Details below:

This is an unoffical message from Michael S. Hart, as I usually send
sometime in the first 10 weeks of each year.  It is personal, in the
sense that these are my own visions, not those of Project Gutenberg,
though these may often intertwine.

However, I should make this more obvious than usual this year, as it
is likely to be the year Project Gutenberg reaches my original goal:
10,000 eBooks. . .and my personal vote for #10,000 is still:

The Magna Carta

I think it is even more appropriate this year than any year I lived,
given the fantastic rate of consolidiation of power via mergers, and
various other socio-political events I don't like to talk about.
[I just heard the the US is pressuring Australia, and perhaps others
of the "life +50" copyright period, with various trade pressures, to
force them to give up their offically stated resistance to copyright
extensions.]

My original dream was to create 10,000 eBooks and give them away--
to an average of 100,000,000 people each, for a total of a Trillion.

My new dream is 1,000,000 of our eBooks given to 100,000,000 people,
for a new, even grander total, of a Quadrillion eBooks given away.

But first we have to get to 10,000, before we head for 1,000,000, so
I'M ASKING EVERY SINGLE ONE OF OUR VOLUNTEERS TO DO ONE EXTRA eBOOK,
over the course of the next few months. . .perhaps to consider these
as a birthday present to me, personally.  If we can accomplish this,
then we can keep up with all the various Moore's Law projections and
other predictors of our progress. . .and this will provide us with a
GREAT PLATFORM FROM WHICH TO LAUNCH OUR NEW GOALS OF 1,000,000 BOOKS

Many Thanks!!!

Michael S. Hart
<hart@pobox.com>
Project Gutenberg