Re: [school-discuss] Fwd: Re: Evaluating Tutor-Web

Hello, all

Well, I guess I didn't really understand what David needed.  Partly
this is because I haven't really thought of the tutor-web as a
"package" but as a system which one would set up only at few
locations, which are then repositories of structured teaching
material.  Thus my tutor-web sites have been much like ftp
repositories or ordinary web sites, which one wouldn't normally put up
in many places but aggregate the contents at select locations and I've
been using http://www.tutor-web.net as the primary site for my
students etc.  There is no immediate reason why others should not be
able to use the same location: If a teacher wanted to put into this
presentation format some material which is already available in LaTeX,
then at the moment I would be glad to assist with such an endeavor,
but I would suggest placing it under http://www.tutor-web.net.  But I
digress...

If you want to test installation etc, then I have made a
tarball which is only 29Mb and expands to 165Mb.  This stuff is
freely available at

	http://saegreifi.raunvis.hi.is/tutor-web/tutor-web.2.1.tar.gz

(I haven't figured out an appropriate GPL for this yet but it's all my
own still, so no problem).  This contains only the information needed
to subsequently generate HTML files, which can now be done piecemeal
using the scripts provided.

In its current state, setting up and running the system locally
requires familiarity with the Linux/Unix file system and shell
scripts. It's been tested on a handful of Linux/Solaris systems, and a
few student groups.

Please let me know if you run into problems.

All the best

Gunnar

> I thought I'd forward this to the list as deciding what to do here is
> complicated and will require lots of space. I need advice on what to ask Gunnar
> Stefansson, the developer. If nothing else, have a look at this if you're
> evaluating courseware, please. It's at http://www.tutor-web.net
>
> Thank you,
>
> David
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Gunnar Stefansson <gunnar@hafro.is> -----
>     Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 14:25:56 +0000
>     From: Gunnar Stefansson <gunnar@hafro.is>
>  Subject: Re: Evaluating Tutor-Web
>       To: David Bucknell <david@members.iteachnet.org>
>
> Hi
>
> > I see that you develop Tutor-Web. I am looking at intranet projects for the ISO
> > project and Tutor-Web is cross-referenced with courseware and intranets. I have
> > a question: Where can I get the code? The demo, by the way, looks really
> > interesting -- unique.
>
> Well, thank you.  All the more since you are the first one to ask:-)
>
> So:  The way I normally set this up on a new computer is usually to take the entire
> structure and tar+gzip it to the new machine.  I'd be more than happy to take
> the most
> recent version and put it where you can pick it up.  That would include the
> perl web-serving program, slide processing utilities and the existing
> course material.  When re-expanded this may be around 1Gb.
>
> The demo is a bit out of date - I'm planning to update that in summer.  Another
> problem is that, due to my location, I do not have a good example or complete
> tutorial in English yet.  That may take a bit longer, but I been intending to
> set up a short tutorial on something like basic Unix shell commands - for people
> such as yourself to see a decent example.  Normal development of a complete set
> of material takes me about two iterations with real students:-)
>
> I expect you will have a Linux computer with perl.  I do use a number of
> additional perl toolboxes, but you probably have many of those installed
> already.
>
> But you got me curious:  What does the ISO project do?
>
> I'll be on the road for the rest of the day and tomorrow but will try to answer
> mails tomorrow afternoon.
>
> Gunnar
>

> ----- End forwarded message -----
>

> --
> http://www.iteachnet.org
> http://members.iteachnet.org/webzine *
> http://opensourceschools.org *
> http://www.rose-marie.ac.th *

> http://members.iteachnet.org/
> http://www.opensourceschools.org/

URL     http://www.hafro.is/~gunnar          http://www.hi.is/~gunnar
E-mail  gunnar@hafro.is                      gunnar@hi.is
        Marine Research Institute            Univ. of Iceland
        P.O. Box 1390                        Science Institute
        121 Reykjavik, Iceland               Dunhaga 5, 107 Reykjavik, Iceland
Phone   +354-552-0240                        +354-525-5915
FAX     +354-562-3790
Motto: Don't call, don't knock, use e-mail