Re: [school-discuss] Using Manhattan Server

Hello,

I use both tools. Look at http://iteachnet.org

Manhattan and Mimerdesk are tools with completely different starting
points, a "virtual classroom" (Manhattan) and an extranet. Mimerdesk's
developers have great interest in adding in courseware, especially that
which is constructivist in philosophy. However, it's an add-in.
Eventually, Manhattan could be one of those add-ins. Now, Manhattan's
developer has long been interested in adding in a centralized login and
he's recently done so. Both tools are great, but they are not competitors.

David

Quoting Cameron Miller <cdmiller@adams.edu>:

> Gary Dunn wrote:
> > On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 09:29:10 +1000
> > Chris Gillies <chris@lasertronics.net> wrote:
> >

> >>At the end last year I found out about the Manhattan Server (virtual
> >>classroom program). It is now up and running, and our teachers are very
> >>excited about its potential. My two questions are:
> >>
> >>1. If anyone is using the Manhattan Server, how best have you utilised
> >>it? ie. Had an off-site quest lecturer take a subject
> >

> > Has anyone done a comparison between Manhattan
> > (http://manhattan.sourceforge.net/) and MimerDesk
> > (http://www.mimerdesk.org/), or other similar applications? I evaluated
> > MimerDesk in a non-educational setting as an on-line community builder
> and
> > found it very nice to use.
> >

> There is a nice comparison chart at a .info site here:
>
> http://www.edutools.info/course/index.jsp
>
> - cameron
>
> --
> - cameron miller
> - UNIX systems administrator
> - outhouse attendant
> - http://staff.adams.edu/~cdmiller
> - http://portal.adams.edu/

Assistant Academic Director and
Technology Department Head
Rose Marie Academy
http://www.rose-marie.ac.th

This message was sent from an iteachnet.org hosted server using IMP, the
Internet Messaging Program.