Re: [school-discuss] FW: OpenOffice in education

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 00:55, Tom Adelstein wrote:
> mviron@findaschool.org wrote:
>
> >All,
> >
> >Do we have any tutorials for openoffice.org? or any members who have built
> >one?
> >
> >Michael
> >
> >________________________________

But its not Free software. In the UK you have to buy vouchers so there
is a degree of hassle you don't get with using SO. Also upgrades and bug
fixes come out for OO.o before SO and you have the OpenOffice.org educ
project you can join in with - ok SO users can too :-)

> I understand that many people in education use Openoffice.org. But, why?
> Star Office uses the same code base but works better and has additional
> features.

Can't see why it works better for most users. eg users of a GNU/Linux
distro will get OO.o ready installed with all the security things done
for them. If things lke Adabas D and a Wordperfect filter are no use to
you there is no significant difference between the products.

> You can also have the curriculum at no cost.

What curriculum is that? There are free tutorials and resources for OO.o
too.

Regards,
--
ian <ian.lynch2@ntlworld.com>