Re: [school-discuss] Russian schools abandon Windows for Linux ?

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 11:10:33AM -0600, Richard Houston wrote:
> Anyways, the Russian school system is looking to move to
> ASPLinux, a localized Linux disto, to combat software piracy.

I guess it's another PR piece by ASP folks.  While I have old
friends among developers there, their public affairs staff
is rather inadequate.

In short, I have yet to hear on ASPLinux in Russian schools,
and I have already heard of ALT Linux there.  Which is "another
lozalized distro" which rather focuses on fixing things, not
shouting about how we'll do anything.

> Alexander Ponosov, a headmaster in a Russian school, was
> charged for software piracy when he purchases MS Windows
> software he  thought was legitimate.

He didn't purchase it.

> If convicted he could spend up to 1 year in jail. Gorbachev,
> calling Bill Gates to ask him to drop the charges but later
> Microsoft said that they would not do so."

All mixed up, and Gorbachev all over.  Is that journalism? :-S

> You can get the link to more detail on the link to my blog post
> below.  http://www.rlhc.net/blog/?p=272

I sincerely suggest you to drop the misinformation source
you've picked up as reasonable, and to follow these links:

http://lwn.net/Articles/221089/
http://lwn.net/Articles/221118/

> Also I am working on V1.3.6 of my WinOSSCDrom

Much better news. :-)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>